NEWARK, NJ: Fall leaf collection to run through December 31
Leaf pick up in the city of Newark, which started on October 20, will run through December 31. The pick ups are made throughout the city between 6 AM and 3 PM, except on weekends and holidays. The Department of Neighborhood and Recreational Services is giving the following tips to residents on removing leaves from your premises:
• Whenever possible, store leaves in a backyard compost bin. This method is preferred to reduce waste at the source.
• Leaves must be placed in a bio-degradable paper bag, which can be purchased from most hardware stores. Do not use plastic bags. Failure to use a bio-degradable paper bag will result in fines and the leaves will not be collected.
• Leaf bags must not contain branches, shrub clippings, or any foreign matter.
• Do not rake or blow leaves into the street. Due to state regulations, all leaves must be bagged in bio-degradable bags and placed at the curb. Failure to comply may result in fines ranging from $100 to a maximum of $1,000.
• Residents wishing to immediately dispose of their leaves may bring the bags to the city recycling depot, located at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 3 PM, until Wednesday, December 31, 2014.
• If a city resident is using a contracted landscaper for lawn maintenance, the landscaper is responsible for disposing of the leaves. Leaves must be placed in bio-degradable bags. Newark residents aged 62 or over showing proper identification can receive up to 15 brown paper biodegradable bags free-of-charge from the City. The bags may be obtained at the City Recycling Office at 62 Frelinghuysen Avenue, Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 3 PM.